File for Michigan Unemployment | Apply for MI Unemployment

File for Michigan unemployment

What is the procedure to File Michigan Unemployment?

Before You Apply, Here’s What You Need to Know. When File for Michigan unemployment, you will require all of the following documents:

• Your SSN (Social Security Number).

• A mailing address that includes the zip code and county.

• The number on your driver’s license or state ID.

• The names and addresses of any employers you’ve worked for in the last 18 months.

• The dates of employment and earnings paid by each employer throughout the last 18 months.

• Your alien registration number and the expiration date of your work authorization if you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

• Any previous unemployment claims’ personal identification number (PIN).

File for Michigan unemployment
File for Michigan unemployment

Select the method via which you want to receive your benefits.

You have the option of having your benefits paid in one of two ways. You can have them put on an Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) debit card, or you can have them transferred straight into your bank or credit union account. You will need the routing transit number and your account number if you choose direct deposit. By dialing 1-866-500-0017, you can modify how your benefits are paid.

Related: Employment Transition Services Michigan [Important Guide]

Calculate Your Earnings.

You must include your gross salary from each job for the last 18 months, broken down by calendar quarter. Begin with the most recent fiscal quarter. Calendar quarters are as follows:

  • January 1 to March 31;
  • April 1 to June 30;
  • July 1 to September 30; and
  • October 1 to December 31.

It is preferable to provide the most precise figures possible. However, if you don’t know your actual pay, you can make an educated guess.

You may also read: Michigan DMV – Important Guide [Drivers License, Registration, Appointment]

When Should You File for Michigan unemployment?

The week you File for Michigan unemployment claim is the start of your claim. Apply for benefits as soon as you believe you are eligible and wish to begin receiving them.

A claim is valid for 52 weeks from the day it is filed. The benefit year begins on the Sunday following the week in which you file your claim. It concludes one year later on a Saturday.

You can only get unemployment benefits for 20 weeks during a benefit year. The 20 weeks do not have to be consecutive. There may be weeks when you do not apply for benefits and others when you do. For example, if you receive 12 weeks of unemployment, work for 20 weeks, and then require unemployment again, you will have only eight weeks of benefits remaining for this benefit year. You will not be eligible to receive further benefits until 52 weeks after filing your initial claim.

How Do You Apply or File for Michigan unemployment?

The Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) prefers online applications, however you can also apply by phone or in person.

Apply for Michigan Unemployment Online.

You may apply for a job online at any time. To File for Michigan unemployment online normally takes roughly 45 minutes. If all of the following conditions are met, you can file online:

• In the previous 18 months, you worked for at least one but no more than 19 Michigan firms;

• In the previous 18 months, you have only worked under one social security number;

• You have not made an unemployment claim in any other state in the last 12 months; and

• You are familiar with your employer’s postal address.

To File for Michigan unemployment electronically, go to the Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM). You must create a login name and password. Following that, you will be asked a series of questions. Required responses are highlighted in yellow in the answer areas. Read the MiWAM Toolkit for further information on how to utilize MiWAM.

Make a copy of your application and save or print it so you have documentation of when you filed it. If you are experiencing trouble to File for Michigan unemployment online, please contact 1-866-500-0017.

Separation Classification.

When you File for Michigan unemployment, you will be asked the reason for your separation; this is why you are no longer employed by that company. There are various alternatives. Separations are classified into one of three types:

• Fired.

• Laid off

• Quit.

When establishing your eligibility for benefits, the UIA will compare your response to this question to your employer’s response.


If you were dismissed, the UIA will take the cause for your dismissal into account when establishing your eligibility. Give your employer’s rationale for terminating you, even if you disagree with it. If you disagree with the reason for your dismissal, you will be given the opportunity to explain your position. Giving a justification that differs from your employer’s may result in a finding of fraud, which may result in sanctions. It is critical to tell the truth, even if it is unpleasant.

Also Read:  Michigan Driver’s License [Important Guide & Info]

If you were dismissed for misbehavior at work, you will be ineligible for benefits. Misconduct is defined as a willful breach of workplace rules. It is assessed on an individual basis. The following are examples of circumstances that can result in disqualification for misconduct:

• Workplace intoxication or drug usage

• Violations of excessive attendance.

• Forging company paperwork.

• Failing or refusing to submit to a drug test

• Theft or malicious destruction of company property.

• Participating in an unlawful strike.

• Any other deliberate harm to the employer’s reputation.

• Your employer said you weren’t doing your job right;.

• You displayed poor judgment or negligence (unless it was consistent or your job had a high level of responsibility over life or property);.

• You broke a rule because you thought it was in your employer’s best interest;.

• You caused harm to your employer without realizing your actions would be detrimental to the employer’s interests;.

You may still be entitled for benefits if you were dismissed for poor performance. In general, being dismissed because you were not competent enough at your work does not disqualify you.

Lay off.

You were laid off if you were dismissed owing to a staff reduction, factory closure, or the firm closing and you were not fired or quit.


If you resign, the Agency will consider the reason for your resignation when assessing your eligibility. Give your employer the reason for your resignation. Giving a reason other than the one provided by your employer may result in a finding of fraud, which may result in sanctions.

In general, if you voluntarily left your work, you are ineligible for unemployment benefits. There are a couple of exceptions. You are not disqualified if you leave one employment to take another permanent, full-time work. You may not be disqualified if you were compelled to resign for circumstances beyond your control. You are not disqualified if you leave for good reason attributable to the employer.

“Good cause related to your employer” denotes that you resigned as a result of something your employer did. For the UIA to accept your resignation for this reason, you must be able to demonstrate that you informed your employer of a real concern. You must also demonstrate that the problem was not resolved within a reasonable time frame. Here are some examples of solid reasons to quit:

• You experienced workplace harassment or discrimination and your employer failed to address the issue;.

• Your employer asked you to do something illegal or unethical;.

• You were told you would be laid off soon or forced to retire;.

• Your income was reduced or not paid;.

• There was a significant change in working conditions or terms of employment;.

• You are not being paid enough to make a living;.

miwam- apply for Michigan unemployment
miwam- apply for Michigan unemployment

Register for a Work.

You must register for work with Pure Michigan Talent Connect after filing for Michigan unemployment. You may sign up online or at a Michigan Works! store. Michigan Works! is a statewide network of over 100 offices that assists people in finding work. You may locate one by visiting the Michigan Works website or calling 1-800-285-WORKS (9675).

After registering with Pure Michigan Talent Connect, your profile must be confirmed by a Michigan Works Service Center. This can be accomplished in person or virtually. You must register at least one day before you File for your first Michigan unemployment check. You may be denied unemployment benefits if you do not meet with Michigan Works! Service Center employees.

You will require:

• A state-accepted picture ID, such as a driver’s license, state ID, or permanent residency card.

• An official document that includes your social security number as well as your name, such as your social security card or a tax or employment document.

• A resume on paper.

If you do not bring a résumé with you when you register, you will be required to present one to the service center later.

Claim Reopening

If you stopped receiving benefits for a reason other than returning to work, you must restart your claim. Follow the same processes as if you were looking for a new job if you wish to renew your unemployment claim.

If you were working but were laid off again, file a new claim.

Reviewing your application.

You may check the progress of your claim online or by calling 1-866-500-0017 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

After you File for Michigan unemployment application.

After you file for unemployment, the UIA will determine your eligibility and eligibility for benefits. The UIA will provide you a decision by mail. It will inform you how much your weekly payments would be and how many weeks you might be eligible for benefits. If there is an eligibility issue with your claim, you will get a second notification.

It should take roughly five days to get your determination after filing a claim. If the UIA has any questions regarding your claim, it may take longer. If the UIA has any questions, you may be sent a questionnaire, which you must complete and return to the UIA within 10 days of the date on the questionnaire. You may be denied benefits if you do not return it within 10 days.

Also Read:  Tre Tre Thornton [That’s What you need to Know]

If you are determined to be eligible for benefits, you will get the Unemployment Benefit Booklet a few days after receiving your determination. It contains thorough information on your rights and duties when you are laid off. It also explains how to obtain your benefit payout. It is critical to properly read the pamphlet. Read Getting Unemployment Benefits: Your Rights & Obligations to learn about your responsibilities when receiving unemployment benefits.

If You Do Not Agree with a Decision.

If you disagree with a decision, you can file a protest and request that the UIA reconsider your claim. For example, if the finding states that you did not fulfill the wage criteria, you may choose to file a protest. Alternatively, if you believe you are entitled to greater benefits than what is stated, you may choose to protest.

Your written objection must be received by the UIA within 30 days of the day the determination was issued. If the UIA does not receive your objection within 30 days, you must demonstrate good reason for the delay. A good reason might be difficult to prove. If you are unable to demonstrate good cause, the decision will be final.

You can submit your written protest either by mail or online. Use your Michigan Web Account Manager to submit online. For further information, go to the UIA’s website. Send your letter of protest to:

Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA).

Grand Rapids,

MI 49501-0169,

Before submitting your objection to the UIA, you should consult with a lawyer. More information about getting legal assistance may be found in the section below.

• For tools and information, go to page

• You may access your MIWAM account 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Chat with an agent from 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., Monday through Friday.

• Contact our Customer Service department at 866-500-0017, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

• Make an appointment online, with the option of a closed-captioned virtual meeting for deaf or hard of hearing people.

• Ask Ava, UIA’s live chat function available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.



When you first file your claim for benefits, accurately record your dates of employment and reason for separation for each employer indicated that you have worked for in the past 18 months. Some individuals are perplexed by the phrases laid off, fired, leave of absence, and quit. It is critical that you notify the Agency with the specific cause for your separation so that we can best assist you and prevent fraud.


If your personal information is incorrect, such as an incorrect social security number, date of birth, spelling of your name, address, and current phone number, your claim may be delayed. If any of your information needs to be amended, please contact us via your MiWAM account and submit your papers to verify your information before calling the customer support line at 1-866-500-0017.


If you do not update or input the right routing or account number when reporting your claim, you will experience payment delays. Under the Claimant Services page of your MiWAM account, you may alter your payment method. Change Your Benefit Payment Method. You can also contact customer support at 1-866-500-0017 and pick option 2.


Even if you do not get the payment until later, you must record your gross income (wages before taxes are deducted) for each week you work and certify for benefits. All earnings from any employer must be reported, including part-time or temporary labor, severance compensation, bonus money, sick pay, holiday pay, and vacation pay.


• Claimants can only be paid on one current claim at a time, so submitting a second might create a disruption or delay in payments. PUA claims should not be filed by regular UI claimants who have not received a disqualifying finding. Please wait for your determination before filing and continuing to certify for benefits.

• In order to qualify for assistance, you must be able, available, and willing to accept acceptable job. Limiting your availability and capacity to accept employment may have an impact on your eligibility for assistance, and a decision must be taken.

• To prevent these typical errors that cause payment delays, examine the 1901 Unemployment Benefits in Michigan Handbook to ensure you have all of the information needed for filing and to better understand your rights and obligations while collecting unemployment benefits. You may also find the handbook on your MiWAM account by going to I Want To > View Claimant Handbook.

Also Read:  Hines Park Lights [Quick Guide & Info]


Michigan Labor & Economic Opportunity Official Website     :,5863,7-336-94422_97241—,00.html

Official Website to File for Michigan unemployment:

If you make an error when submitting or certifying, please notify UIA by sending a message through your MiWAM account or calling 1-866-500-0017.

Often Asked Questions on File for Michigan unemployment


Ans: Payments are made using either a UI-issued debit card from Bank of America or direct deposit to your preferred banking institution. To set up direct deposit, go to your MiWAM account and enter your direct deposit information under the Claimant Services page, or call 1-866-500-0017 and choose the payment option. You will need your routing number as well as your account number.


Ans: There are currently no extensions available in Michigan. Extensions for collecting unemployment benefits are only in force during periods of high unemployment and only if the state or federal government takes special action to give prolonged benefits.


Ans: To knowingly make false claims or conceal important information in order to earn or avoid the payment of benefits is a violation of state law. It is possible that you will have to reimburse up to 1.5 times the amount of benefits received. Benefits will be terminated, and any leftover benefits will be forfeited. You might face criminal charges as well. If you are charged, you may be ordered to pay court costs and fines, serve time in jail, perform community service, or any combination of these.


Ans: There are currently no extensions available in Michigan. Extensions for collecting unemployment benefits are only in force during periods of high unemployment and only if the state or federal government takes special action to give prolonged benefits.


Ans: If you are out of work, you can make a claim online using the Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM).


Ans: Your Social Security number, Driver License Number, or State Identification Number; • the names and addresses of employers you have worked for in the last 18 months, as well as your quarterly gross earnings and the last date of employment with each employer; • if you are not a citizen or national of the United States, your Alien Registration Number and the expiration date of your work authorization.


Ans: A benefit year is the 52-week term that begins on the date your claim is filed. In a 52-week benefit year, the highest number of weeks you may get is 20, and the least is 14.


Ans: To determine how many weeks of unemployment you may be entitled to, use the following formula:

1. Divide your entire base period pay by 40%. (0.4)

2. Subtract the result from step 1 by your Weekly Benefit Amount.

3. Reduce to the closest half-week. As a consequence, the number of weeks you may get benefits is determined. The maximum period is 20 weeks, while the shortest period is 14 weeks.


Ans: To determine your weekly benefit amount, use the following formula:

1. Multiply your salary in the fourth quarter of your base period by 4.1 percent (0.041). To the closest dollar, round down.

2. Add $6 for each dependant, up to a maximum of five.

3. Add the results of steps 1 and 2 to get your Weekly Benefit Amount. The weekly payout amount is limited at $362. The weekly benefit amount is set at $81.


Ans: To determine how many weeks of unemployment you may be entitled to, use the following formula:

1. Divide your entire base period pay by 40%. (0.4)

2. Subtract the result from step 1 by your Weekly Benefit Amount.

3. Reduce to the closest half-week. As a consequence, the number of weeks you may get benefits is determined. The maximum period is 20 weeks, while the shortest period is 14 weeks.


The content on this website is meant only for general information purpose and does not and shall not be construed as any solicitation, procurement, display, aggregation, marketing or advertisement of any products. Neither we claim to be the owner of the content; is not a government intermediary and hence does not endorse or solicit any such information/products. The information on this website is derived from publicly available sources and cannot verify or confirm the genuineness, truth, veracity or authenticity of this information.

Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply’s partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.

Leave a Comment