How to Get a Passport in Michigan? Absolute Guide

How to get a passport in Michigan?

If you looking to apply for a passport and want to know how to get a passport in Michigan? Than you have come to the right place. Here you shall find a quick and comprehensive guide to apply a Passport in Michigan. Also, answered herein some of the most important FAQ’s in regards to Passport application that you must know. So, lets find out..Read on…!!

What is the passport application process in Michigan?

You must be eligible to apply for a passport in Michigan.

Eligibility Criteria

• To acquire a passport in Michigan, you must be a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization, or a U.S. national.

• Determine if a passport book or a passport card is required for your trip outside of the United States.

• You can use a passport book or a passport card to enter the United States through land border crossings or maritime ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda with a passport book or a passport card.

• A passport card is less costly and more handy than a passport book, however it cannot be used for international air travel.

How to get a passport in Michigan
How to get a passport in Michigan

How to Apply a Passport in Michigan?

The application process is the same whether you want the passport book and the card at the same time. You must deliver your application in person.

If inside the United States

• If you need a passport in seven weeks or less, you’ll need to go through an expedited process. • If you will be traveling in more than seven weeks, you can apply for a passport in person at a passport acceptance center via the standard application process.

If Outside the United States

• Contact a U.S. Embassy or Consulate near you for information and forms on requesting a passport from outside the United States.

Passport application checklist.

  • Application Form – You must first complete one of the following stages to apply for a passport book, card, or both:
  • Submit your application online. Use the Passport Application Wizard to walk you through the process of applying for a passport. When you’ve finished the application, print it off to present to the passport acceptance center. A passport application cannot be submitted online.
  • Fill out the application by hand. Fill out the passport application form (DS-11) and instructions (PDF, Adobe Reader required) by hand, or get a copy from a local passport acceptance center.

Note: Whether you fill out the form online or by hand, it is crucial that you do not sign it until you are requested to do so in front of a passport designated official you will encounter while applying in person.

Personal paperwork – You must bring all of the following with you:

o An original document showing citizenship o A photo ID that has been authorized

o A photocopy of the front and back of the citizenship papers, as well as a picture ID document

• Passport photo – Make sure your photo meets the requirements.

## Payment – Determine the cost of your passport.

How to get a passport in Michigan? (In Person)

You must apply in person using Form DS-11 if at least one of the following assertions is true:

• You are under the age of 16;

• You received your previous U.S. passport when you were under the age of 16;;

• Your previous U.S. passport was stolen, lost, or destroyed;

• Your last passport was issued in the United States more than 15 years ago.

If none of the above statements apply to you, you may be eligible to renew your passport using Form DS-82.

Note: You must apply in person at a U.S. embassy or consulate if you live outside of the United States (including Canada). For further information, see Obtaining a US Passport from Outside the US.

For Regular Passport Application in Michigan

1. Fill out Form DS-11.

In the United States, the DS-11 form is used to apply for a passport.

Keep the following in mind:

• The Form Filler will select the right form for you based on the information you submit. It might result in a different form than you anticipated.

• Do not sign the application until the acceptance representative gives you instructions.

• If you have been given a Social Security number, you must provide it in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R. 51.60.

Also Read:  UIA Michigan [Important Guide & Queries]

• If you don’t have a Social Security number, you’ll need to sign and date a declaration that says, “I swear under penalty of perjury that the following is accurate and correct:” The Social Security Administration has never assigned me a Social Security Number.

• For further information, see the Frequently Asked Questions area.

• You can apply for a passport book, a passport card, or both using Form DS-11.

• You may request a 52-page passport book for free by checking the ‘large book’ box at the top of the DS-11.

2. Provide proof of citizenship in the United States.

One of the items listed below must be supplied. A physical copy of an original or a certified copy of an original is required for your proof. A certified copy is any document that bears the seal or stamp of the issuing authority.

• A fully valid and undamaged passport from the United States (may be expired)

• A birth certificate issued in the US that meets the following requirements:

o Issued by the city, county, or state where you were born o Contains your complete name, date of birth, and place of birth o Contains your parents’ full names o Contains the date filed with the registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth) o Has the signature of the registrar o Has the seal of the issuing authority

• Naturalization Certificate

• Citizenship Certificate

• Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Birth Certification

If you are unable to submit one of the following qualifying papers or want further information, please see Citizenship Evidence.

Please bear in mind that digital proof of citizenship, such as a smartphone or electronic birth certificate, will not be accepted. Physical evidence of citizenship is required, as well as a photocopy of the document.

3. Bring a photocopy of your US citizenship documents with you.

Send us a photocopy of the front (and back, if there is printed information) of your US citizenship proof. The following procedure must be followed while making photocopies:

• Reasonable.

• Only one side is printed in black and white on 8.5″x11″ white standard paper.

You may provide a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence instead of a photocopy, which we will maintain. If you do not provide a photocopy or a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, your passport may be delayed.

4. Present your identification.

The accepting agent must see one of the following identification documents (IDs). On the ID, you must be plainly recognized.

• In excellent condition U.S. passport book or passport card, valid or expired.

• A valid in-state driver’s license or a driver’s license with photo enhancement.

• A Certificate of Naturalization (Certificate of Naturalization).

• A Certificate of Citizenship.

• A government-issued employee identification card (city, county, state, or federal).

• Identification from a member of the US military or a family member of a member of the US military.

• An up-to-date foreign passport (valid).

• Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) – this document is usually used by the parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant.

• A parent of a U.S. citizen child may apply for a Permanent Resident Card in the United States (Green Card).

• Reliable traveler identification (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, and NEXUS cards).

• Photo IDs and upgraded tribal cards for Native American tribes.

• Addendum documents: 1) a fully legal in-state learner’s permit with photo, 2) a fully valid in-state non-driver ID with photo, or 3) a temporary driver’s license with photo are all acceptable. You may be asked to produce further identification while delivering one of these three papers.

Go to Identification if you don’t have one of the aforementioned IDs or if you need further information.

Keep the following in mind:

• Several states are presently issuing digital ID documents (also • known as mobile driver’s licenses or mobile IDs).

• These digital IDs are not accepted when applying for a passport in the United States. Send in your physical exam, picture ID, and a photocopy of your ID as usual.

• You must additionally offer another form of identification if you produce an out-of-state ID.

• If you’re changing the gender marker on your US passport, have a look at these additional requirements.

5. Bring a photo Identification

Make a photocopy of the front (and back, if the ID has printed information) of each ID you submit when you apply.

The following procedure must be followed while making photocopies:

• Reasonable.

• Only one side is printed on 8.5″x11″ white standard paper in black and white.

6. Examine the situation for any unique conditions.

Your passport application may be subject to additional requirements if you belong to one of the following categories. Please read the related page for further details.

• Minors under the age of sixteen.

• 16-year-olds and 17-year-olds

• Your old passport was stolen or misplaced.

• You owe $2500 or more in child support.

• Selecting a gender indication.

• Passports having special issuances such as official, diplomatic, or other (only accessible from a U.S. government device).

7. A Photograph Required

With your application, you must provide one photo. To minimize processing delays, make sure your photo meets all photo criteria.

Also Read:  Mackinaw City Michigan - Quick Guide [Restaurants, Things to Do etc.]

• Do not staple or adhere your photograph to the form. Before stapling your photo, the acceptance agent or passport employee who receives your application will review it.

• Some passport acceptance centers charge an additional fee for photo services.

8. How much does it cost to get a passport in Michigan?

Make a Fees calculation below

how much does it cost to get a passport in michigan
how much does it cost to get a passport in michigan

Applicants must be 16 years old or older.

Adult Applicants aged 16 years and older   
ParticularsForm TypeFees required for ApplicationImplementation (Acceptance) Fee
Passport BookDS-1113035
Passport CardDS-113035
Passport Book & CardDS-1116035

Children under the age of 15 are considered applicants.

Child Applicants  aged 15 and under   
ParticularsForm TypeFees required for ApplicationImplementation (Acceptance) Fee
Passport BookDS-1110035
Passport CardDS-111535
Passport Book & CardDS-1111535

Please bear in mind that you must pay the application and execution costs separately. An extra $60 is charged for expedited processing. For information on payment options and a comprehensive list of fees and services, please see Passport Costs.

Here’s all you need to know about filling out a check.

How to fill out your check-Passport
How to fill out your check-Passport

9. Fill out the application and send it in.

Inside of the United States:

• You must submit your whole application in person at a passport acceptance center in the United States, including citizenship papers, a photocopy of your ID, a photo, and fees.

If you are planning a trip soon, you may be able to apply for a passport in person at a passport agency. For further information, read Get My Passport Fast.

Outside of the United States:

Please contact your U.S. Embassy or Consulate for advice on how to submit your papers, since processes vary.

10. Keep track of your application’s progress.

You may track the progress of your application over the internet.

It may take up to two weeks for your application to be listed as “In Process” after you submit it. During these two weeks, your application is transferred to a mail facility, your money is processed, and your application is scanned and transmitted to us. If your passport status update says “Not Available,” your application and supporting documents are safely on their way to us.

Often Asked Questions on How to get a passport in Michigan?

Q) Is it required to make an appointment in order to apply to a school that accepts applications?

Ans: While some acceptors need appointments, others do not. the recommend phoning ahead to confirm the hours of operation, acceptable payment methods, and appointment requirements of the acceptance facility. Find the place where you’ll be accepted.

Q) Is it feasible to submit an application through mail or online?

Ans: If you utilize Form DS-11, you will not be allowed to mail your application. You can send your DS-82 in the mail. During this period, you will also be unable to submit an online passport application to the Department of State.

Q) What if my passport requires both a book and a card?

Ans: You can request a passport book and a passport card at the same time on Form DS-11, but you must pay both fees. For further information, see the Passport Card page.

Q) How long will it take for my passport to arrive?

Ans: For the most up-to-date information on when you will obtain your passport, please see Processing Times. If you need a passport right now, go to Get My Passport Fast.

Q) Is it feasible to pay for expedited shipment as well as return shipping?

Ans: You can choose between one or both of the following shipping options:

  • Delivery to us: Purchase Priority Mail Express from the United States Postal Service to accelerate the delivery of your application to us. The price of this service varies depending on your location in the country.
  • I’ll get back to you as soon as possible: You’ll have to pay $18.32 for 1-2 day delivery. This means you’ll have your passport in 1-2 business days after the send it to you. Include the $18.32 charge with your passport fee in a cheque or money order payable to the US Department of State for the quickest return mailing. Please do not send us a return envelope with $18.32 in pre-paid postage.
  • If you’re renewing a passport card, we’ll mail it to you along with your passport and any supporting documents you submitted with your application via First Class Mail. the do not use 1-2 day delivery services for passport card applications alone.

Q) My child support payments are past due. Is obtaining a passport possible for me?

Ans: You will not be allowed to obtain a passport in the United States if you owe $2,500 or more in child support. For further information, see Child Support Payments and Obtaining a United States Passport.

Q) What method will you use to submit my passport and the documentation that go with it?

Ans: They’ll mail your passport to you and return your supporting papers once it’s ready. If you applied for a book and/or a card and paid an extra cost for 1-2 day delivery, they will send your passport and supporting papers in one of two methods.

Also Read:  Michigan Pedestrian Accident Law [Important Details You Must Know]

I simply requested a passport book: Your newly issued passport and citizenship paperwork may arrive in two distinct parcels. 4 weeks after receiving your passport, you may get a second package with your citizenship documentation. Your passport book may be sent in as little as two days.

I had merely requested a passport card: It’s possible that your newly issued passport card and citizenship paperwork will arrive in two different mailers. 4 weeks after receiving your passport, you may get a second package with your citizenship documentation. Only First Class Mail is used to send the passport card. They do not use 1-2 day shipping services for the cards.

I applied for a passport book and a passport card at the same time: One with your citizenship paperwork, one with your newly-issued passport book, and one with your newly-issued passport card may arrive in three distinct mailings. 4 weeks after obtaining your passport book, you may receive a second and third shipment with your passport card and citizenship paperwork.

Q) According to the document, making a duplicate of my US birth certificate is illegal. So, what am I supposed to do now?

Ans: If you don’t want to submit a photocopy, you can give a second certified copy of your birth certificate. We’ll keep this second certified copy for our records.

Updates on Passport Services that are Important

Expect to encounter the following:

• Standard processing takes 8 to 11 weeks as of October 29, and expedited processing takes 5 to 7 weeks for an additional $60.

• Not the day you mail your application or apply for a passport at a local acceptance facility, but the day the receive your application at a passport agency or center.

Mail delivery times vary across the country. Make your preparations in advance and submit your application as soon as feasible.

From the drop-down option, choose Trackable Mail.

• For an extra $18.32, send your application to us by USPS Priority Mail Express and have your passport in 1-2 days. These services provide the shortest turnaround times while yet protecting your important documents.

Use Online Self-Service Features: Use one of the site’s self-service features to get immediate answers to your questions. You may check the status of your passport on the internet. Customer service representatives will not offer status updates over the phone.

Do you have a vacation planned? Please submit your application as soon as possible! Apply for your vacation at least 4-6 months in advance. Due to limited availability for urgent travel appointments, the cannot guarantee that you will be able to get in-person treatment at a passport office or center. Priority is given to customers in life-or-death emergencies. It is completely free to schedule an appointment. Visit the Passport Agency and Center website for further information.

There are a limited number of appointments available, and they must be scheduled over the phone: Call 1-877-487-2778 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET Monday through Friday. Find out if you’re eligible for an appointment by reading on. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call 1-888-874-7793 for TDD/TTY teletype services.

Adults having 10-year passports can renew them through mail instead of visiting a passport office.

*If you applied for normal service or expedited service more than 7 weeks ago and have not received your passport, the may have sent you a letter seeking further information. If you don’t respond to this letter, the won’t be able to proceed with your application. More information is available on the Respond to a Letter or Email page.

Respond to a Letter or Email-Passport
Respond to a Letter or Email-Passport

Passport Application Contacts Michigan:


211 West Fort Street
Detroit, MI 48226-3269

Phone1-877-487-2778/ 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY)

(Monday- Friday            8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. EST)
    *Closed on Federal Holidays

Helpful Links:

Passport Application in Michigan Video Guides

How to Apply a Passport ( In Person.)?

An overview of how to apply for an adult U.S. passport in person is provided in this video.

How to Obtain a Passport for Your Child?

An overview of how to apply for a child’s U.S. passport in person is provided in this video.


The content on this website is meant only for general information purpose and does not and shall not be construed as any solicitation, procurement, display, aggregation, marketing or advertisement of insurance products. is not an insurance intermediary and hence does not endorse or solicit any such products. The information on this website is derived from publicly available sources and cannot verify or confirm the genuineness, truth, veracity or authenticity of this information.

Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply’s partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.

Leave a Comment